Sunday, April 20, 2014

They Did What?

Sometime early in the morning they came for the stretcher, I summoned all the energy I could and in a series of movements scooted myself over onto my bed. I woke up and was in and out a few times during the night, not that I remember any of it. The nurses came in a couple times during the night to change our IV bags and give us medications thru the IV and empty our surgery drains. They give you a series of medications including a pain killer and an antibiotic.

For the first day after surgery I was on oxygen because my levels kept dropping. They have a clip on your finger that measures your oxygen level and mine kept dropping whenever I would move causing the machine to let out a loud continuous beeping sound. Although I wasn’t concerned because I never felt faint or out of breath, Ally nearly had a heart attack each time it happened so I just tried to stay as still as possible.

That first day after surgery they had to redo our IV’s because they had punctured the veins. Mine they got on the second try and Ally’s they had to do about four before they got it and by now her arms are so bruised she looks like a junky.

The Surgeon comes to see us and I am not happy with what they say. Ally had a hernia when she went in that we already knew about and discussed with our patient coordinator and noted in the paperwork along the way. She told them that she didn’t want it fixed because she didn’t have the money and in an email they told us no problem they would just leave it. This was obviously not discussed with the doctors themselves because when they came in after surgery to talk to us they told us that they had fixed it and we could settle with the patient liaison before we left. She acted like she had done Ally some huge favor by finding and fixing the hernia, then after we pointed out that we knew about it and hadn’t wanted it fixed she changed it to “it had to be fixed to do the surgery.” Ally and I just let the subject drop for right then and we would discuss it when we were alone later.

When they got to talking about me I was very worried with what they told me. They said that when they went in my liver was too big and they had to do a mini-gastric bypass instead of the original gastric bypass that I wanted. At the time they told me this I had no idea what a mini gastric bypass was and they just said that it’s the same thing just with less of the intestines bypassed. I was confused but at the time there was nothing I could do from my hospital bed. If there was the possibility of this happening I should have been told, after the hundreds of surgery’s they have done I can't have been the first one with this problem. Had I know that this could happen I would have asked them to do a sleeve should this situation arise.

Example of our Drain
A leak test is performed when you are finished with your surgery and still under anesthetic. How they managed to get mine in me is still a mystery to me as when I woke up Ally pointed out that there was blue stains on the side of my face and neck. The idea of the dye is that when you drink it if you have a leak it will leak into you abdominal cavity and then out into the drain they put in you. If there is blue in the bulb of the drain with the other fluid then you have a leak. When you wake up in your hospital room the first day they have you drink more blue dye to test it again. Ally still swears to this day that she saw blue dye in her drain, but when she pointed it out to the nurses they just shook it and said that no everything was normal.

After you are awake and mobile they perform anther leak test, this one involving contrast and a large piece of machinery. We were less than impressed when they did this test as they didn’t have us stand there long enough to have the contrast go all the way past the pouch. I stood in the arm of the machine less than one minute and that is counting the time that I was swallowing the nasty tasting liquid.

The next morning a nurse came in and told us to take a shower, when we asked if there was a shower chair she said that no there wasn’t one. For not only a hospital with surgery patients, but one that has overweight patients not to have a shower chair was unbelievable. When I tried to stand I had a huge knot on the right side of my back and hip, because of this I was unable to walk for more than a few steps and standing for long enough to take a shower was impossible. At this point I was wonder what they actually did to me when I was out that I am now unable to use my left arm because of pain in my shoulder and unable to walk because of pain in my back. Ally had a quick shower first and after managing to push a chair into the bathroom I managed to give myself a version of a sponge bath.

When my IV slipped for the second time I decided to just have them take it out and not put it back in. I was not in any pain from the surgery sites just from my arm and back and the pain medication was not helping with that. Ally had the same idea when hers slipped, and they began giving us our medications orally. We had been having some weird reactions, muscle twitches and hallucinations which we later attributed to the pain medication. I asked them to stop giving me the pain medications and actually had to insist on stopping when they were hesitant and told me that I wasn’t in pain because I was on the meds.

There were a few things missing in our room including a remote for the television and a call button for the nurses. Another patient that had surgery the same day as we did gave us her call button as she had her husband there for help and wasn’t having any problems. Unfortunately when you pressed the button it would call out the room number (loudly) at the nurse’s station, which led to a few mix ups until they all remembered that we had the button now.

Up next will be how things started to go wrong for Ally

 XOXO, Evie & Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment